There are many claimants to the title of creator of the Margarita, but one of the strongest is Daniel Negrete. The Negrete family story goes that Daniel opened a bar at the Garci Crispo hotel in Puebla, Mexico, with his brother, David. The day before David’s marriage in 1936, Daniel presented the margarita as a wedding present to Margarita, his sister-in-law.
- 900g (2 lbs) chicken wings, cut into 2 pieces at the joint
- 65ml (¼ cup) frozen orange juice concentrate
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 125ml (½ cup) gold tequila or mescal
- Marinade the wings overnight in the well-blended margarita mixture: tequila, orange juice concentrate, zest, juice, garlic, cumin, coriander, and a little salt and pepper to taste. To cook, drain the wings and place under a medium-high grill for about 25 minutes, until cooked all the way through, turning regularly.