This Southern US dish is best made with bourbon, in honour of its heritage. Serves 6-8 as a side dish.
- 450g (1 lb) sweet potatoes
- 4 tbsp butter, softened
- 55g (2 oz) light brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- pecan halves or marshmallow for topping
- 125ml (¼ pint) bourbon whiskey
- Preheat the over to 160C/325F/Gas Mark 3. Cook the potatoes for about 15 minutes or until they are soft and slide off a knife. Drain, mash and add the butter, sugar, salt and whiskey. Spoon the mixture into a casserole dish and sprinkle with the topping of choice. Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes until piping hot and bubbly.